Making out like a bandit

on 16 September 2007

This is what 400.00 worth of groceries looks like. I spent 64.00. Amongst the rest of this are about 150 canned goods, a year supply of kleenex--33 boxes, a dozen jars of spaghetti sauce and bottles of handsoaps, 4 100ct Excedrins, a dozen cereal boxes and post it note paks, 4 lipsticks, 2 dozen boxes of snack bars, 18 cans of refrigerated rolls and tubs of catfood, a dozen juice bottles, flour, sugar and oranges. I know I am missing stuff, but you get the picture. I made out like a bandit!

There is all sorts of reasons people coupon. There is definitely the thrill of the hunt. I being of the gatherer nature, have a new perspective where hunting is concerned and it is reinforced by my own motivations, each coupon wingnut has their reasons--mine are staying home with my children, sending packages overseas to our Marines and sponsoring the Chronicle House in Houston for the homeless men and women that sell the newspapers.
When you first get started with couponing you go through this adolescent ardent desire to buy everything you can lay your hands on, wiping out shelves--hell be damned if you have 50 pounds catfood and NO CAT. Somebody at the local shelter will be happy to see you! soon though you are a little more seasoned and realize that the sales keep coming and you needn't be greedy and overbuy. It's a waste of time, space and money.
There is some minor stigma about not paying full price for something. Frankly,using coupons embarrases some people. I am not sure what it suggests in their mind. I know in my mind my not using them borders on insanity.
I have no problem with fellow shoppers, too impatient to get in on the deals or cashiers exasperated with actually knowing enough about a sale to do their job. The only problem I have is with their attitude towards people that do.
My hand stays in my pocket (still using that line--thanks, Marci) when they try to hand me something other than common courtesy. Regardless of how it sounds, when I am met with ridicule I find pride in not taking the bait or enjoy rectifying the odd impasse with these kinds of people in some illuminating way. If I am putting up with that kind of behavior I am doing it for a good cause. When it is for the military, for instance, I am taking it in the teeth a lot more safely than they are, right? If it is a shop day for the guys at the Chronicle house, whatever comments I may get from an overtightened, Lexxus driving soccermom are not ever as bad as what they hear from assholes on the street and so it goes.
A lot of those that shop this way actively support the homeless, friends and family in a bind, church pantries,women's shelters and care packages for everyone from college kids to servicemen. It is one area where you can translate savvy into dollars and do a lot of good for others, especially if you are trying to do it on one income and yes, damn it the hunt is it's own legal high.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)