Cave Allegory

on 17 September 2007

It was a really fast day today. I spent it shuttling kids to lessons, scouts, and making sure they did their lessons. I packed lunch, made supper, cut and filed coupons, went to the library and did some shopping. I still need to read some material for a gathering tomorrow and clean up the kids schoolroom. Nothing like company to motivate me through sloth...

I talked to a friend today about how much we fill our heads with or how we cope with how much we fill our heads with...I mean it never really gets in there unless we put it there right? I sometimes think that this is inherently a woman's burden. Men seem to have a feeling and leave it to its own devices...we get a feeling and want to raise it.

It is often striking to me how we can percieve things so differently and then I remember how what we pour into our heads about who we are, what we do and whether it is any good, can be so differentfrom one another-- that the perceptions we have of what is going on around us would have to be different,too. It makes sense, but it is still such a clusterfuck.

It reminds of of Plato's Cave Allegory. How one, unenlightened and shackled in the cave, would feel once he came into the sun and saw more than mere shadows and echos of things presented to him inside the earth. Socrates talking to another philosopher Glaucon said of it:

Last of he will be able to see the sun, and not mere reflections of him in the water, but he will see him in his own proper place, and not in another; and he will contemplate him as he is.

It was a rough piece of text to get through the first time, but what I remember then and what it calls to mind now is how someone must feel when they know and accept the truth about themselves and why that time happens to each of us so uniquely and at such different rates of time.

This is rough cut...gonna think about it some more---maybe.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)