Coming-blogging through the storm

on 12 September 2008


Went running this morning...you could feel it in the air.

It was windy, but the air felt still underneath--heavy.


I ran sprints and worked pushups and situps between, but I was distracted.


No birds.


No people.


It's comin'!

5:12pm, Friday

We are at my inlaws now.

Their house is made of brick

and while ours isn't made of straw

nor are we lazy swine relation,

we are still hanging out here for the duration--

Until the visit from Big Bad Ike is over.

All the windows save those on the sheltered side of the house are covered over.

It's an odd sense to have time and space shoved into this gap of being.

You are basically telling time by nature about to happen,

first weather band,

first rain,

first hurricane wind,

landfall,

in the eye...

it's altering...

like when you wake up from a nap in the middle of the day you hadn't planned on taking in the first place...

I brought things to do, but I am not doing any of it at the moment.

No discipline!

At least not right now.

The window to my right is open and you can see the trees beginning to bend and sway to the ground and I can here my husband and his parents murmuring in speculation over the low din of the TV.

The thing about this storm is how big it is.

The wind field for it is much larger than Cat 2 hurricane usually is.

They expect Cat 3 by landfall,

but the storm surge...

the water the gets displaced inland

and causes all the death and destruction

is what I am worried about now.

They expect a storm surge that you would normally get with a Cat 4 hurricane.

Due to Ike's expansiveness, it occupies most of the Gulf at the moment,

I think, if I had heard this a bit earlier, I would have pressed my husband to evacuate...

Listen to me...ha

Monday morning quarterbacking crap that isn't even over yet...

**shaking head

it's a gift...

8:57pm

Lights are flickering off and on.

At the top of the trees, if you listen past the gusts there's a dull roar coming out of the south.

I have everything I need to have or find in the dark in a place I can do that.

Matthew, our littlest guy is bouncing around from lap to lap and the din from the TV is still there.

Father in law is a news junkie as is the dear husband.

I figure.

It's raining.

The wind is howling.

It'll be doing it for at least another 12 to 16 hours. I don't need to watch it on TV when I can hear it out the window.

Limbs are down in the yard and anything outside with any kind of flexibility at all almost seems to be groaning at what the wind would have it do.

Looks like we just hit Cat 3.

Landfall is in the next couple of hours.

Just told the kids I wanted them to go to bed at a regular hour and not stay up til midnight as is the usual Friday tradition. The more they can sleep through the better.

I need them fresh for whatever is on the horizon in the morning.

Better sign off.

Not sure how much longer the power will be on.

17 comments:

rockygrace said...

I'm worried about you - stay safe.

Ang said...

My gut is roiling at your poignant post. The writing is beautiful despite your worry, and I sincerely hope for the best for you and your family. Good luck, and please update us as you can. I'll be watching.

jam said...

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. good luck

Southern Sage said...

damn girl
good luck
I'm pullin for ya.

Lollie said...

I am in Canton, I am thinking you must be worse off than me, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours....LOLLIE

nitebyrd said...

Stay safe and take care. My thoughts will be with you and your fellow Texans.

~ a Floridian ;)

Lilly said...

good luck and good thoughts to you!

Sassy said...

Stay safe and dry.
I'm thinking about you and all Texans!

Holly Golightly said...

be safe...will be praying for you and yours.

xoxo
holly

rage said...

Stay safe! (came over from sage's blog) My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Please take care!

~*Jobthingy*~ said...

over here from sage's place. thinking about you and yours. stay safe.

I Smile 2 Much said...

Thinking of you, hun,.... hopin and prayin and all of that too.

Luv ya so much!

tankerbabe said...

I've had y'all on my mind and in my prayers. I figure the power is off but I'm sure anxious to hear from you via an update here.

Hope it was just wind and no damage or major issues where you are friend.

A said...

(came over from Sages)
Good luck and stay safe. =)

vixen kitten said...

Came to add my good thoughts and prayers for you and your entire family. Via Sage.

vixen kitten

Hope said...

rocky!! let's not wait for a hurricane to touch base...sorry I haven't been around much, but I think I'm back to posting again.

ang- Thanks so much for the support. It was really nice of you to post a comment.

Jam- thanks...we are ok. how are you and yours?

Sage-ty for the kind thoughts and threatening your readers...lol...you're such softie underneath all that bluster.

Lollie--how did you make out? Alright?

Nightbyrd--ty mama...Texas is a tough state...we got hit hard but we can take it I think. ty again for coming by!!

Lilly and Sassy--thanks mamas. I think we made out alright all considering.

Holly--the prayers helped I think! thank you...

Rage--that Sage...he's a pistol huh? ty you for taking the time.

I smile--Hi mama...how are you? everything good? things are okay here too...messy and loud from the generator but better than a lot of folks.Hope you are good.

Tankerbabe--it was just some water damge but nothing too bad...it gabeme some perspective where our deployed are concerned and I hope to use it to support better. Drop me a line when you can. We have a lot to catch up on.

a--things are better! thanks for stopping by

vixen--I have to hand it to sage...he really is something else sometimes huh?? ty for the good thoughts!

rage said...

Any friend of sage is a friend of mine!

Take care of yourself!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)