After

on 13 September 2008

8:32pm, Saturday

It's black outside.

They say at least 3 millon people on the Texas Coast are without power.

I can't vouch for 3 million, but I can for the folks around here...it is pitch black...
cept for us...
we have a generator.

We also have houses that are still standing and minds and bodies a little tired, but blessed nonetheless.

I had Tony get this computer hooked up to the generator and so I sit here in this unearthly glow answering email and posting so that I can say thank you to all the folks that commented.

To be sure, I was really surprised.
Sage...thanks guy. You were kind to post about it.
I would like to think all the good wishes on and off blog were the stuff that gave us such a good outcome...in spite of the ragged lead gutted night.

I have lots of stories to tell and I will tomorrow...the generator needs rest..lol...

but one thing I will say now...
and that is that it occurred to me as I was working and doing all the things you do when you have kids and move through the day,
how lucky we are to be able to flip a switch,
run a bath, wash out a kids booboo,
eat a hot meal,
not worry about bad guys taking from us
and just know what time and day of the week it is
because your mind isn't ovvupied with just surviving something or the other ...

It's trite to say this sort of thing makes you think
because really saying that suggests maybe you don't enough.

I work a lot of mil support for Marines...and everytime someone in the neighborhood complained about the heat or having to do an ordinary thing in an extraordinary way I thought of those jarheads and what they do day in and day out.

I made some mental notes and again...I'll save them for tomorrow.

Goodnight.

8 comments:

fairyflutters said...

I'm glad you're ok and that you have a generator. That hurricane sounded so scary. :(

Rolando said...

Stay safe Hope and God bless.

e c f e s w said...

mah pimp daddy sage sent me

to say hi~~~i am in North Little

Rock at the hospital with my

75 year old father who broke

his hip this morning~~~

we have been through at least

3 bands from IKE, the one that is

hitting now is causing us to lose power

I will be "camped" at your site for a while

because I learned from the last time dad was in the hospital~~they have some kind of screwed up filter that prevents me from returning to most blogs

I'm on the hospitals wireless network~~Just wanted to let you know~~~~~I can't wait to read your posts about IKE~~but since the wind, rain, thunder is in the air, want to wait to read them

glad you can post and I am so freaking glad sage posted about you

~~~~~~~~PEACE~~LOVE~~AND~~~WELL~~YA~~KNOw~~~~~~

Distracted said...

Be safe. Take care of you.

~*Jobthingy*~ said...

just popped in to check on ya.

Hope said...

Fairy...thanks for the good thoughts. How have you been?

Hope said...

Ro--hey guy...how are things in Cali? Maybe I should come visit...ha.

Charlene--hate to hear you dad is not doing well..lemme know what's up.

Dist- we are okay...thanks for the kind words.

jobthingy--we are good to go...so to speak...better than a lot of folks.

thewishfulwriter said...

Been thinking about ya'll. Here's hoping things brighten up in your neck of the woods soon - we were without electricity for a few weeks in Charlotte one year thanks to an ice storm and it was NO fun. Hang in there!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)