Wheeeeeeeeeew II

on 22 May 2008

I got pulled over again. Defendant's Exhibit A at lower right. It seems Texas is on a big Click It or Ticket campaign for the summer.


I was in a hurry (what else is new really?) rolled out of the driveway and was trying to get to the post office while a friend watched my kiddos and


Nope.


Did not belt up.


I'm one of those people that belts later in a drive...well usually. Sometimes my husband calls me and hears the seat belt warning ping going off in the background and he'll say all exasperated: "Put your seat belt on Hope! Can't you hear the warning bells?" I have another friend who wants to know how I can stand to hear the pinging and I answer him with "what pinging?" He stays equally annoyed.


Okay so sometimes I do do it on my own or when I see a cop. Only-- well... I didn't see this one this time. I was trying to keep my boxes from sliding off the seat at the time. Seems they needed a seat belt, too.

By the time I looked up, I saw the car flip a U, the lights come on and when I pulled over,the mama cop gets out of the car and I groaned...I definitely keep too many irons in the fire sometimes.

She walks up and identifies herself. Then the question gets asked. Is there a reason you aren't wearing your seat belt? These are the times you are glad more people aren't mind readers...because all I could think of was..."is it possible that I'm about to get out of a second ticket in month ? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO way!!!

I look at her and say, "Well, it's more of an excuse than it is a reason. Do you still want to hear it?"
This made her smile.

"Sure."

"I am in too much of a hurry. A friend is watching my kiddos so I can get to the post office with these boxes."


She looks past me at my passenger seat.
"That's a lot of boxes."

"Yep."

"Ebay?"

"No.
Jarheads in Iraq and Africa. I was supposed to get this stuff out yesterday and didn't. I guess I got a little hyper focused." (My friends IRL will have fun with this comment.)

"I see.
License and registration?"


I hand her the goods and sink down into my seat when she walks away. Did I mention I am on a main street in the small town I live in? Nice.

"Rats.
I'm getting a ticket," I begin to speculate.

This thought gets reinforced because it is taking a LOOOOONG time for her to come back.

Tony is going to kill me, I think as I start with the minor hair twirling.

Oh crap here she comes.
I sit up a little straighter and wait for the 'please sign here it's not an admission of guilt schpiel'...

"Ok, Ma'am.What I've done is written you a warning. We are cracking down on seat belt laws this summer. Please make it a point to use yours. Go ahead and get those boxes to the post office and have a nice day."

I said it once and I'll say it again:

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeew.
Gotta love my jarheads.
POST SCRIPT:
Before the car is turned on I will buckle myself up. Is everybody happy now?

8 comments:

PhilippinesPhil said...

Cops love being respected and most of them love military folk, at least that's been my experience. I always gave 'em a healthy dose of "yes sir," and made sure they saw my military ID. Over the years, I got pulled over about a half-dozen times back there "in the world" before moving overseas and never got a single ticket. Knock wood.

Michael said...

Or you could just wear your figgin' seatbelt!

Hope said...

phil- I can't afford to push anymore leatherneck luck...still...I was damn surprised i was able to get off one more time.

Hope said...

mike- awwwww jarhead concern. you say the sweetest things.

Anonymous said...

We're in the process of lowering our insurance rate but have to wait a couple of months for a past claim to be taken off. So the insurance agent tells me, "Don't get in an accident or get a ticket." So I relay this to Hope, and she proceeds to get pulled over twice. What is she doing, hamstringing us or what. Her luck is only going to last so long. So what should she do. Let me think uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh, "PUT YOUR SEAT BELT ON AND SLOW DOWN." This is said with love baby.

Tony

Hope said...

Mike, I hope that apartment of yours is a two bedroom. I'm sending you a sergeant.

~J said...

Hope...if I have to email all those jarheads about you getting in a seatbeltless speeding wreck with boxes flying everywhere...I will put Mike in charge of your rehab. and D in charge of endless safety videos for your viewing pleasure...It won't be pretty.

Hope said...

J- et tu Brutus...and dropping dimes on me to the big D? tsk tsk...that's just wrong...

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)