Couponing and Eating Dirt

on 05 May 2008

I haven't been couponing in earnest the last couple of months. I got behind and did some shops, but nothing fancy. At some point, if you are heavy into couponing and slack off, you get a little nervous about going in for a big shop wondering if you still have your chops...

muwhahaha...

I spent fifty seven cents at Target today. Fifty seven pennies man!!! The poor checker was nervous because it was obvious I had more coupons than the order was going to take. I told her to just stop before it zeroed out so her machine didn't lock up and that would be fine. Boy was she relieved! I think she thought I was looking for cash back...

Nope.
I'm not greedy.
Course I'll want those extra coupons back mind you...

What did I buy?

I thought you might ask:

24 bottles of Visine
10 energy bars
4 quarts of strawberries and raspberries
2 double paks of Listerine
12 bars of soap
10 boxes of bandaids
6 8 oz bottles of Purell

When the shops are this good I always find myself wondering how I can fall off the wagon and not shop like this all the time? Couponing is like riding a bike. You never forget how to do it really...but you don't know that until you get back on. It's a kind of coupon amnesia followed by physical therapy. The swift self kick in the pants you give yourself for loosing focus is the physical therapy part.

It's a shame that I get such a rush out of building a deal.
I remember when rushes came from hitting Dime Draft Night at the Metro, working your list of tasks for Sorority Hell Night (in your face Pledge Mom...still wonder how I did it huh??!!?), field training execises in a Lousiana swamp, or the guy you were interested in finally freaking calling for crying out loud...oh well.

I'm 40 now.
Times have changed.
I'm going back tomorrow for my consumer induced rush and will try not to linger over the fact that it's all just kinda sad really. None of the aforementioned BS being any sadder of course than the present.

Oh! A big bonus is that all of this stuff except for the berries is really useful to our military folks about now. See? When the buzz wears off I can count on a sense of service anyway.

Okay still kinda sad comparatively speaking.

Crossfit
I was in a little bit of a hurry what with all the shopping today, Girl Scouts and the boys PT class-- so when I came home between checking email, supervising the cleaning and vacuuming the car and changing for the gym I made the mistake of wearing some yoga pants which went on a little too easy, but I didn't pay enough attention at the time.

Here's the thing:

The WOD (workout of the day) was

880 run for warm up

40, 30,20 and finally 10 sets of

situps

wallballs (maniacal squats with a ball you throw over your head on the way up and catch on the way down at the end of your squat

Push press (barbells over head in rapid succession)

Step ups/Box jumps (think tall box you either step up and down on or jump up on and land two footed)

This particular exercise is a mental thing for me at the moment. If youbox jump and fall your shins will catch on the edge of this big wooden box...OWIE!!!...I have done this before...hence my being leery of this stupid box or rather my legs being leery. There are times when I swear I hear them tell my brain..."Wait, Wait! We're REAAAAAAAALLY tired right now are you sure you want us to jump up...seriously? Tell you what, Brain, we'll jump right on up there if you promise to short circuit the writhing agony type pain response if we give out and hit the edge of this box here. What do you say?"

No luck, mostly you just stand there and tell yourself to jump and your legs pretend they are deaf and can't hear a damn thing. I'm all about the step ups at this point. Though I think the trainers may be on to me, because while I have had my workouts scaled for the last month...today the trainers upped both weight and repetition...I may have to contend with jumping soon...ack.

Now.
Throw into all this mind screwing the realization the pants you are wearing are getting looser and looser as the workout goes on.

Paint yourself a picture.

Hope in the gym with 20 other sweaty harworking folks,

throwing her arms over her head,
going into repeated squats,
stepping up onto a high box

Repeat....oh say....
100 times!!!

I could not begin to fathom the importance of the right gym wear until I began Crossfit. I usually just throw on anything. As a matter of fact the clothes I generally wear is the stuff I disappear into here and in the gym. Out of habit, I have always worn my clothes too big...only now...well stuff's not staying on me so well. I think a lot of mamas wear stuff that keeps them flying under the radar. I know I have always subscribed to this. The problem with my philosophy is if I keep wearing this big stuff under the radar will be replaced by all over the radar. I'll be straining to press weights over my head and my pants will be down around my ankles...

Yup I think someone might notice.

Sigh.

It's going to sound strange, but I hate shopping. I like stocking the house with food and supplies, but I'd rather eat dirt than shop for clothes--well relatively clean dirt anyway and I'd need some sort of clean dirt certification.

Where was I again?
Oh yes.
Shopping.
That I'd rather eat dirt than shop pretty much sums it up.

11 comments:

BillyWarhol said...

Gosh Fab Deals with the Coupons!!

I've never tried it but I think U Folks in America get more than we Canadians do*

+ yeah I gotta start Exercising*

tomorrow..........

;))

EntreCard RED HOT DROPPING!!******

iGOO MEGA TRILLION $$$ DOLLAR LAUNCH!!

EVERY BLOGGER in the UNIVERSE will receive a $$$ TRILLION DOLLARS!!

iGooMEGA$$$TRILLIONS



Cheers Everybody!! Billy ;)) Peace*

Tiffane said...

Hitting your shin hurts baaaaaad! Get some shinguards for those box jumps.

MizMell said...

You are the coupon goddess, for sure. congratulation's--did it make you giddy to save all that money?

Peggy Sez.. said...

I loves the smell of coupons in the morning.

And be more careful with yer shins
You need them ya know!

the Mom said...

Okay, I have some coupon questions...

1. Where do you get your coupons?
2. Does Target take coupons printed on your home computer...'cause Wal Mart and our local grocery store won't. That's alright, because you should BOYCOTT Wal-Mart anyway.


Be careful with your shins. Keep up the good work. I'm kinda jealous.

Hope said...

Billy-I think the US does do more with coupons than other places in the world.

Hope said...

tiff---hmmmm shinguards...nah...I probably ought to just make sure I move my ass enough I don't slam them...

Hope said...

Peg-I didn't know you couponed!cool...

Hope said...

Miz- yup sadly this is one of my few highs these days...well CF is good, too...

Hope said...

okay mom...
1. I get my coupons from the lady that throws my paper or I buy them on saturday (houston early edition)I make sure I have one paper for each family member and then I get another 6 for my milsupport stuff.

2. Target take their web coupons and manufacturer coupons and they let you stack them. so for instance if Eggo has a MQ out and Target is running a deal...which they are at the moment you can stack the TQ and the MQ one of each per each item bought...great deal there as well as using this situation with clearance items...

Thanks for the warning on the shins...word is you ahve been busting your own hump as well! good for you, mama!

LanaTron said...

Hey, Hope. I'm just now catching up over here...

For the record I hate shopping, too. The prices we're expected to pay...especially for the crap they're putting on the racks and passing off as fashion these days...gag!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)