Whoop Creed

on 23 November 2007











Whoop Creed
This is my Whoop.
There are many like it,
but this one is mine.
My Whoop is my best friend.
It is my life...

Okay so really this is a rewording of the USMC "Rifle Creed" google that--lol...and ... maybe Whoop is not my life, exactly, but aside from Tony this is the best thing that came from his stint in the Marine Corps, possession wise as far as I concerned--well, barring those extra estrogen rich times when I claim Tony as a possession...heeeee....

Whoop is an old poncho liner Tony has had since before our introduction almost 20 years ago and something he has tried to lovingly replace on my behalf with no success I might add. The Corps issued this one to Tony out of boot camp in the early 80s..I love this old ragged thing. How it came to be named Whoop I have no idea. I think Tony was already calling it that when we started dating. I only know that once we did, I took claim of it and eventually Tony ceded ownership.

It's like a blanket. It's soft and cool and silky...I looove it. When your are sick and feverish it feels cool and when you are cold it's amazing at keeping the warmth in even though it is thin. One of the kiddos, Matthew, I think, was really hot natured and we kept Whoop out all year for him the year he was born.

Each year it get lumpier and thinner in spots. It's a little like parachute material and it, at one time, was quilted. Like I said we do have the new one Tony picked up at a military surplus store a couple of years back, but you can't buy the breaking in so I keep it grudgingly since sooner or later Whoop is not going to make it out of the dryer in one piece.

We took Whoop out of the linen closet today. Looks like he's going to make it one more year. I moved the computer next to some French doors this year and the draft makes it a perfect excuse to keep him on my lap through the winter.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)