Air Show

on 11 November 2007

Today...wow...today...I went flying in a restored L19 Bird Dog. Some dear friends took all of us up one at a time while the rest of us sat in the hanger and visited or went and looked at all the incredible machines out on the tarmac. It was awesome. It's the only word I have at the moment. My hair is still tied back and in knots from all the wind and I hate to brush it out. You know?

What is an L19 you ask? Well let me tell you:

L19 Bird Dog was used extensively in the early years of the Vietnam war as an observation and a Forward Air Controller (FAC) because it could provide low, close visual reconnaissance and target marking which enabled armed aircraft or ground troops to close in on the enemy. The L19 was later redesignated the O1 Bird Dog. It was feared by the Communists because they knew that opening fire on it would expose their location and invite attack by fighters controlled by the slowly circling Bird Dog. The enemy became bold, however, when they felt their position was compromised and attacked the little aircraft with a vengeance in order to lessen the accuracy of an impending strike.

Translation: I rode around in a plane used to put the bead on a target and call in the big guns...I couldn't help but wonder who the folks may have been who sat in the same seat I sat in today...

Yup that is a B17 we are waiting on to taxi off the runway.


This is one of the biplanes in front of us who was also about to take off.

This is a B25 we were sharing some runway just prior to take off, too. Sure I knew he was going to slow down, but it still made me pucker a little.

Same B25--a closeup--Man! I'm a sucker for bombs and nose guns.

This is what the inside of a L-19 Bird Dog looks like. K., Zen Pilot Philosopher ( I am not sure he is going to like this moniker...hee)here gets us lined up behind those biplanes for take off. It was nice and loud!!!

We are really starting to vibrate as we build up some speed, make the turn and head out into the wild blue yonder...yuh I know trite, but I think there was a lack of oxygen to my brain from all the rush.

First thought: OHMIGOSH!!WE ARE REALLY UP!! Holy crap!

Second thought: OHHHHHHHHHH and here I thought the same guy in the same yellow helicopter spends all day everyday flying over Galveston...doh.


Next thoughts...
No thoughts.




The windows were down. I could hear the chatter from the tower and K. who was laughing at the nut sitting behind him trying to absorb the initial sights and sounds all over VOX. He was so good with this noob.










Galveston Island--west side on the left here and the causeway to the
Mainland on the right. We live about 6 miles up on the right...










Flying east over the East end, in the first picture looking north to The Strand and the port of Galveston and in the second looking east where the Gulf and the Bay are part of the Intracoastal waterway.











Headed back Northwest where we pass over the ferry which takes people from Galveston Island to Bolivar Peninsula...we swing more to the Northwest and head back up the North side of the Island back towards Scholes Field.









Calling the ball with the tower and lining it up...







Touch down...smooth as a baby's butt.... K., Zen Pilot Philosopher, You rock!

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)