On Veteran's Day

on 11 November 2007

Today I was at a breakfast where I spoke on behalf of my Marines in Iraq. (relax B., it was all very un-chicklike). Reporting on how my guys were doing was fitting given the honor and respect this particular day demands. I was glad to do it.

Afterwards, a man I hadn't met before walked up to me. His eyes were steady and his handshake was firm. He said he had served in Vietnam. He said he had rarely received mail or packages and how much of a difference it would have made, if he had had. He said insult was added to injury when he came home and he was no longer simply ignored or forgotten, but spat upon instead.

He was adamant, as well as optimistic as he pressed money in my hand this not happen to our servicemen there now. That while his return had been unkind and cruel, it was a different outcome he wanted to contribute towards now for his brothers in arms.

He went on to ask about these Marines of mine and so genuinely thanked me, I was not only at a loss for words, but also by that point, in a state (I am sure you, B. would have a few choice words for me about that) but, it was unavoidable. This man slayed me with his earnestness. As he left with his wife he promised he would be getting back to me with more backing from his VFW group.

I was humbled by the fact this vet was thanking me when really, the only one that deserved any thanks at all was him and those like him.

Marines, sailors, soldiers and airmen.
We remember you.
We honor you.
We thank you.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)