Developments...maybe.

on 27 May 2009

(Update Edit at end of this post...7:20 pm, 27May)
Your comments last post were hilarious, poignant, kind and well, CI Roller-- a little concerning! I didn't know they even made Underoos that size...

So there have been developments , but I won't bother to give the blow by blow until things stop blowing--this afternoon I think. By then the latest will have settled down and the proverbial "word will come down". I'll post again today if it does.

In the meantime, Mike sent this over this morning. It cracked me up and laughing is a good thing! I left what the original sender put at the end of the funny. It's not funny as much as a truth and pretty dead on for me in terms of how things have been progressing lately. :)

Yesterday I was buying 2 large bags of Purina Dog Chow at Walmart for my dogs. I was about to check out when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog. What did she think, that I had an elephant?

Since I had little else to do, on impulse, I told her that no, I didn't
have a dog, and that I was starting the Purina Diet again, although I
probably shouldn't because I ended up in the hospital last time. On the
bright side though, I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive
care ward with tubes coming out of every hole in my body and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that
it works is to load your pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one
or two every time you feel hungry and that the food is nutritionally
complete so I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that
practically everyone in the line was enthralled with my story by now.)

Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog
food had poisoned me.

I told her no; I had stopped in the middle of the parking lot to lick my
butt and a car hit me.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack, he was
laughing so hard!

WAL-MART won't let me shop there anymore.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. God determines who walks into your life. it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.



**************************
Well like those movies where the surgeon comes out all grim and tells the family in what ever words he's sorry, but he's done everything he can...I got the word. I kept my expectations low so it wasn't a shock, but I can't say I wasn't a little disappointed. I got the idea to try the Guard from some bloggie friends. My general compulsion to serve in some way had been ailing for a little while if you've actually suffered through the last few days of HopeRadio, I'm sure you are aware and while I still love the idea of being of service, I hate to see anything suffer--the idea or my patient readers.

Seems while I still seem to be quite appealing to recruiters, the timeline for bootcamp and OCS before my 42nd birthday is going to keep me from even a shot at National Guard. They don't have a slot available that will get the whole shooting match done before I light 42 candles on my cake.

Sooooo...

Every door has been knocked on that I am aware of.
National Guard would have been a pretty good deal in terms of keeping a family balance and compared to most State Guards, Texas rocks benefits and pay wise. It just wasn't meant to be.

At least I have had the opportunity to check each type of service and give it go. The process was not one I recommend for the faint of heart not that my heart is any more buff than the next human--just sayin'...I'm sure this is a your mileage may vary kind of a thing. I will say I'm glad I looked down this last avenue and it was nice to have a direction with which to align my compass one last time.

No worries.
Apparently Patience is the biggest lesson here and since I prolly suck at that one more than most virtues, I can see how it's the one that keeps stepping back in the ring to have another go.

Fine.
*smile*

Bring it.

14 comments:

g-man said...

HA!! That's a good one!!

I'll be waiting with baited breath for the word. I hope it goes your way.

CI-Roller Dude said...

Hope, You'd make a good "Combat Comic." That's actually what my job in Bosnia and Iraq was. If we could die laughing, then I did my job...I loved my job.

Red said...

Classic! Thanks for the laugh. I hope things are looking up in your part of the world...

Stark said...

Ha ha, funny story.

Wishing you calm wisdom for when you get the word and make decisions later. You know my thoughts on it.

coffeypot said...

Holding my breath in anticipation. But can you tell us something soon? My lips are turning blue and I’m seeing little stars blinking all over the place.

T said...

That's awesome!

Glad to know you're laughing!

coffeypot said...

ppphhhheeeewwwww, sssoooooooootttthhhh. Boy, just in time. I though I was going to pass out.

Why don't you go back and tell them you measure your age on the metric scale. Their 42 is really your 35. Well...it might work.

Travis said...

I have no doubt that you will find a way to serve, and the way will be that which works best for you and the family.

CI-Roller Dude said...

Hope,
being an officer is over rated...it's really us NCO's that make stuff happen. I'm still training a new 2nd LT...but at least this one listens. I'll have some fun with him and summer camp..."Hey LT, can you get a bucket of radio squelch form supply?"
"Hey, LT, we need a box of 9MM windage for the range."

Southern (in)Sanity said...

First, if I had been behind that woman in line at Wal-Mart, you would have been dialing 911 to have the paramedics resuscitate me. That's hilarious!

As for the other, hang in there. I am sure you will find a way to serve that fits you.

Red said...

Hope,
It's good to explore (or exhaust) every option... it seems to me that there is a larger plan at work here. Someone once told me that you don't have to put on a uniform to serve so I will pass those words on to you...Best wishes for whatever path you take!

Stark said...

CI-Roller is right, NCOs run the world.

Travis is right too- there are lots of ways to serve.

A little clarity now, keep charging hard.

Little Grasshopper said...

Thanks for the Walmart joke. Sorry these did not work out for you, but there are many ways to serve. I am sure you will find the right fit for you and your family. It has been a rough road and I have been up and down with you the entire time. Love you mama!

PhilippinesPhil said...

There's always the Legion. I think the French Foreign Legion stops at 45. They pride themselves on being tougher than US Marines. Only difference is, US Marines actually win THEIR battles.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)