WOD

on 23 April 2008


WOD (workout of the day*)
*Modified (Read here: if this were school, right now I'd be one of those kids on the short school bus. I joke about it from a former teacher's perspective but in all seriousness...that's the thing about CF -- Anyone can do this, they are careful to scale it to your fitness level. Intensity has nothing to do with ability. I am already noticing an increase in stamina and recovery time after a couple of weeks.)

x 2
10 Burpees (a hellish thing that involves a deep squat thrust to a splayed pushup, chest to floor, back to a squat up to pop up--arms over head and jump off the ground. Incidentally, one this is never a series of four fluid movements, for me it's about 8 to 9 very ungraceful ones and two, I never feel like burping, but I've thrown up in my mouth a few times...)
50 Jump Rope
25 Squats
10 Sit ups
15 KB Swings (L/R) (this involves a semi squat, swinging the weight between your leg and as you come up bringing the weight up to head level)
10 Pull ups (band or ring)
10 Box Jumps
10 Push ups
**400m Run**

This was Monday's workout.


Today's warm up- about 15 minutes give or take a minute or two.
Iron crosses (arms out, r foot to left hand without moving your torso, l foot to right hand same way.)
Scorpions (same as iron crosses, but on your belly)
Squats
Burpees
X3

The thing about the CF warm up is that it is misnamed--I mean it's misnamed in that it's an understatement for me at this point. By the time I am actually done with the 'warm up', I am sweating through my shirt, off my face ONTO my shirt and I am pretty sure I'm a nice shade of pink.

Today's WOD consisted of 25 of each:
Squats
Pull ups
2 sets of sit ups
2 sets push ups
alternating with a run after each set of exercises. The first 4 runs were 440s and the second 4 runs were 220s. My clothes stayed on, I didn't bleed, fall or throw up where it was visible to others. It did take me 35 minutes...

A lady came up to me as I was doing my pull ups and said, "Hey you're smart. You picked the bar closest to the door...I didn't have the heart to tell her, "I'm by the door in case I can't make it to the bathroom to ralph, I can at least I make it outside..." Heck who wants to be thought of as nauseous (and all the potentiality that includes) when they can think you're sharp instead?

Another guy ran me in so I made my 35 minute goal. "Come on, dig deep" takes on a whole new meaning now. Usually, I think I'd say it when I'm serving myself a big bowl of ice cream. lol
Seriously, I think I must have borrowed this guy's giddyup, because I coulda sworn by that second mile mine had already headed back to the barn. This is another difference I think about CF. It is such a crosssection of people and abilities, but they are all working hard and supportive of one another and demanding of 100% effort. Like one man said today, "When you are done, it doesn't matter how much you did or weight you lifted. At the end of the workout everyone feels the same way. Everyone has pushed as hard as they could."
'

I am really loving this!

4 comments:

Linda and her Twaddle said...

I do a thing called Step Into Life which is outdoor personal training. And she makes us do them burpees - lots. I hate them. And squats - 50 at a time. Sometimes we have to do things in 100's - situps, push ups, squats etc. Hate it but do it anyway. And if I see those cones come out it means lots of running - sigh. But now I can do 3 lots of 20 mens pushups (a big thing for me). So it all pays off. Oh, and I can hold a brace for 2 minutes without trembling. Why do I do it - I feel so good afterwards. I am not going into middle age being unhealthy.

hippyhappyhay said...

Brilliant Hope!

CI-Roller Dude said...

Great work out plan!

I'll tell you of my Baghdad work out.
Get up,
Run down the street to the portopotty and pee,
run back to room and realize I'd forgotten to put on anything but my underwear and flipflops.
Get dressed, walk 3/4 of mile to mess hall, eat KBR chow, walk back to room, grab 35 pounds of body armor, K-pot, M-4 and 9 mags, M-9 and 7 mags, first aid kit, and other crap and walk 1/2 mile to meeting room...then start work...
Old Army slogan:
"US ARMY, We can waste more time before 9, than most people can waste in a whole day!"

PhilippinesPhil said...

A strenuous workout for me nowadays is when i'm on top...

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)