Cross Fit

on 14 April 2008

So wanting a non-gelatinous bod has led me to pick this hardcore fitness regimen called CrossFit. I have been working on weight loss and some PT for about a year, but nothing like this. Though I suspect wanting something ultra physical, stripped down and brutal are other reasons it speaks to me. The program has had an underground following for a few years and is beginning to become more popular.

I have one thing to say about CF:
CF = P.A.I.N.
Okay two-no, three things to say:
I love it.
It's a perfect fit for me.

I have only been just a little while and so the brutality of the workout is still quite fresh. It still has that whole new car smell-- 'course the smell isn't some version of factory plastic and upholstery, it's more like blood and sweat.

Zen Traveler brought it to my attention and then later when I made some inquiries with my milfolk turns out several of them are pretty involved in it, too. Well, of COURSE, they were.

The first workout involved them putting me through my paces. Uh huh.
It didn't take long.

The trainers warmed me up with squats from the seventh circle of hell and then put me to do pullups. Incidentally, up suggests defying gravity and after 20 squats gravity became the enemy to overcome. By the time the warm up-read here- frontal assault was over my quads were not on speaking terms with my brain...well...they were, but the language was offensive.

At one point I get out to the parking lot for the running portion of the workout and I'm thinking surely by the time I get the few meters out to where the trainer with the stopwatch is, my muscles will stop twitching and shrieking "what the hell is going on out there??!"..... It won't feel like I am balancing my torso on such wobbly stilts....NOOOOOOOOPE!!

The masochis...I mean the trainer says go and I comply, too bad the rest of me doesn't. Next thing I know I am on my butt re-experiencing gravity. Like I didn't get it the first time.

So while I am 'walking' aka getting an idea of what it must feel like to only have control over half of the ligaments and tendons in my lower body, I'm assuming trainer #1 is going back into the gym to take bets I will be driving off in my station wagon any minute.

NOT.
I was prepared to crawl on my hands and knees if I had to, but NO WAY was I not sucking it up. Failure was not an option though humiliation seemed to be requisite.

So I have been walking/jogging a couple two or three miles over the weekend, trying to stretch and remembering what it was like to workout and push myself physically.

I'll talk about it more, but suffice to say at the end, they wanted to know if I wanted my check back. Sometimes it happens they said. The main trainer was watching expressionless. I looked at all three and I squashed my 'look you ....I have had 3 ten pound babies at home and can work standing up 48 hours at a time, you can take that check and..."
Nope.
I didn't go there.
They don't know how me very well.
so
I did something unusual.
I just gritted my teeth and instead said,
"No. Keep it. I'll see you Monday."

4 comments:

Michael said...

It doesn't have to be fun to be fun. Who turned you on to the gym you are going to again? Hmmmm???

Catherine said...

Good for you!!! I greatly admire you. Keep it up. :)

You inspire me to get my butt out there. I thank you!

Hope said...

Mike! I came home bloody, sweaty, sore and covered in dirt today. It ROCKED! And I do believe yes, it was YOU...smile and wave, smile and wave...that came in and sealed the deal where Crossfit was concerned. You were so ri--- having trouble with that word...ha... about the program!! Today kicked my basckside--well and my trap, triceps, delts, abs, obliques etc...okay so it kicked where they will be someday.

Hope said...

Cat! You are welcome mama. If you want a good challenge this is definitely the ticket.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)