The Life

on 23 December 2007

Most people have heard of basic gang rituals...

There's the jumping in part where the group administers a thrashing which the potential member submits to in order to prove his loyalty.

Then there's the jumping out. This part can be gradual and over time, might involve a move to another town or even a 'boxing in' where they put you in a refrigerator draw pistols and fire into it. If you make it out of the refrigerator and live, you're out. If you don't, well you're REALLY out. Most of the time, they just beat the crap out of you and then they let you out.

In all cases you have to be ready to get out. Sometimes bangers go back. The outside world is too strange or unfamiliar especially if you went into a gang early in life. The gang is their family afterall.

It's 'how they roll'.

I thought about this a little while cruising around in this limo with my parents last night.

There was another couple my parents had picked up--old family friends of theirs. At some point after classic and particularly signature type behavior...someone in the family said to these friends when things got a little harsh, "hey...it's how we roll" It called to mind the banger reference for me.

Families are a lot like gangs.

You've got colors of attitude you wear, behavior you exhibit,like the signs they throw passersby on the corner (which are not generally ignored and can get you shot at) and particular neighborhoods you frequent --in this case neighborhoods of thought. Any infringement or non participation borders on self destructive and the idea you are having a loyalty issue.


It all seems pretty damn stupid and then quite clear the more I thought about the similarities. By a natural process of time away and in the choices I have made with marriage and lifestyle I have 'jumped out' of the 'life'. There has been some assbeatings along the way, but I'd have to say only because I let them.

I'll have to go back to the old neighborhood here a couple more times in the next few days...this time though I'll be ready for them. There may even BE some assbeatings...only mine won't be one of them this time.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)