In the suck

on 14 December 2008

Out beyond ideas of
wrongdoing
and
rightdoing
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.~Rumi


I feel thick.
Layered even.

By
thoughts
words
obligations
chores
deadlines
a lack of sleep
good intentions
rants
situations

but hell who isn't just as in the suck?
boohoo right?

It's amazing I can get that self absorbed right smack dab in the middle of a season meant to support all things antithetical to basic self absorption.

sigh.

Here's a good place to start:
This email excerpt from a milsupporter with guys out in the most mountainous parts of Afghanistan elevates SUCK to a whole other level. (If you want to know how you can help these folks visit Sage or Tankerbabe.)

I couldn’t help but think about our Soldiers at OP Fritsche who are already under 4 feet of snow. Who barely got simple and rustic plywood shelters built before the snowfall. That have only dirt on the roofs to keep the bullets out but didn’t have time to properly roof them before it became too cold and snowy. We have sent several 40’ X 60’ and 50’ X 100’ tarps to them to keep the melting snow from dripping through on them. And I couldn’t help but think about our Soldiers at two other Ops that have been under snow for three weeks now; who are lucky if they get two resupply opportunities a month because of their proximity to the Pakistani border, the danger of resupply (which is only at night and the helo can only stay on the ground for 5 minutes – NO exaggeration). The Soldiers, at times, must ration everything. No showers, no electricity, no hot meals, not outside communication, in fire fights every day and often more than one a day.

Yep it kinda kills my:

-why do they always put all the beans in a burrito all the way at the damn bottom?

-the kids are all dead set against giving any sign of brain activity instead subscribing to the whole less is more theory of homework, classwork and or basic thought process.

-I was so busy juggling a phone and a Christmas program I send a picture text of cleavage and ass meant for Tony's eyes to some sweet, unassuming jarhead who calls me momma.

post.

I will say this though.
Sage asking me to write a post about milsupport reminds me that that is how I met him in the spring of this year.

We talked milsupport and politics and by the time I realized his blog was also pretty damn dirty, it was too late. I had had time to notice he was astute and well read and shot as straight as anyone I know in blogland or real life. We were friends.

I'm glad I didn't visit his blog after we first met. We just emailed or IMd. Had I have, I would have made some snap judgements about who he was and run like hell.Blogs are a double edged sword in that respect.

I can't say I am not still prone to snap judgements or running like hell. l'd like to think though that this last year has taught me to not do them in close succession or worse, simultaneously.

Mind you I said I was taught, it doesn't mean I'm great in practice.

As I have mentioned from time to time:
I'm a slow learner.

That's its own kind of suck--
Hopeful though it is.

Literally and figuratively.

3 comments:

Southern Sage said...

Thanks for the hollar, maybe some folks will come help out.

Dirt? thats art!!

Jay said...

Christmas season is the time for giving, but also the time for most depression.

But we still have it better than some people who are doing what (sometimes) looks to be pretty thankless work.

Cleavage?

Ass? ;-)

Travis said...

There are degrees of suck. Our own difficulties aren't lessened for us simply in the face of someone else's seemingly worse situation.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)