Veteran's Day

on 11 November 2008




It's way early to post, but this is prolly a two post day
so
if this bores you
well...
tough shit.
It's Veteran's Day.
Luckily, our school believes in celebrating this holiday.
It's nice when people come along quietly.


So look.

You're in the store,


at the mall,


in the dentist's office,


at a parlor getting that tattoo on your ass you have always wanted


whatever...


if you see someone who has served,


stop


look them in the eye and say:


"Thank you for your service."
Unless you are the one getting your ass tattooed in which case,
stop
hitch up your pants
THEN
say "thank you for your service"
even combat veterans might not be ready to take a look at your ass.


No ass tattoos on today's agenda?


Fine.

Talk about Veteran's Day with your kids in the car on the way to karate.
Do they know what a veteran is besides the dude that got them a four day school week?


Go over to Ci Roller Dude's blog and tell him thank you for the tours of duty he served in Bosnia and Iraq risking his life and banging himself up. He hurts to this day and never complains. Or visit with Add ImagePhil, he served in two branches of the service.


Leave a comment here for Mike Burke, 1st Sgt., 3/3 Marines and say something like, "Yeah, yeah you're a cocky pain in the ass, but I know how hard you work and how much you love your country and your Marines. Thank you for your intrepid service and the examples you set for honor, commitment, discipline and integrity. Now about that swagger..."


Go hit up Sgt. Grumpy or Maj. Pain and say thank you for taking the time to keep us informed of what was going on in the Sandbox and putting up with our dumbass civie questions again and again.


Tell June Cleaver you appreciate her lending our country her husband for a year while she raises her family by herself.


Hit up Blackfive and read the beautiful letter one comrade posted to another comrade's children after their father died beside him in combat.


Read.


Think.


Speak.


Remember those who served.


Remember those who have kept or are now keeping the wolf at bay
while we sleep peacefully in our beds at night.
-----------------
Go see this post, too. Sage.

11 comments:

PhilippinesPhil said...

Nice... I think I'll thank myself while I'm at it... seriously, nice.

Southern Sage said...

perfectly said.

Matt-Man said...

Happy Vets Day to all of those who served. And by the way, languid is a great word. I used it in a poem that I posted not too long ago. Cheers Hope!!

Hope said...

Phil--Thank you for your service! xo

Sage--Folks should go read your post, too.

Matt-Happy Veteran's day to you, too. Mattman and thanks for sending the poem. It was well done!

LanaTron said...

Great post, mama! Thanks for writing it.

And I like the new look of the blog...the photo up top is nice...and I like the pic of you on here...you are beautiful, just like that stranger said.

I Smile 2 Much said...

Awesome! I love your words here. I am so thankful & proud of each one of them. True heroes.

Wow, that was awkward said...

Are you saying I should tattoo Thanks Vets on my ass? Will that look strange next to the Hope Was Here ink?

Hope said...

Lanatron--thanks mama! on all counts.

I smile-yeah I saw you looking all patriotic there earlier...for godsakes dont you get cold???lol

Bretthead, You and I both know if I was on your ass you wouldn't need a tattoo to remind you.

Wow, that was awkward said...

That's right. That rash would be reminder enough.

Hope said...

Haaaaaaaaa...good one.

Seriously though Bretthead, what you bring into the relationship is your business, but you should be honest. I mean really. Most of the time you can get a cream for that sort of thing.

Wow, that was awkward said...

I'll give you cream...

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)