Can I get a do over?

on 11 March 2008

photo: NY Times, January 2007
Mr. Spitzer's Inaguaral pic from the right.
Mr. Spitzer's Inaguaral pic from the left.


You know I had a lot to say about this idiot in New York, but Matt said it so much better than I ever would. Why do people in public life think they are so freaking invisible?

I bet no human on the planet at this very moment in time is wishing he had a do over more than Eliot Spitzer well-- I guess not unless it's his wife. I can't imagine what she is dealing with at this point, much less him--though I don't have a lot of sympathy for this guy.

If he was bright enough to climb the ranks in NY politics he had to know what kind of chances he was taking and that it was just plain damn wrong.
Right?
I mean-- right?

In his inaugural speech in January of 2007 he promised “two overarching objectives”: making the government “ethical and wise.” I think he got a off center there just a smidge-- either that or he thought that whole cross your fingers when you make a promise thing really counts.

7 comments:

Tiffane said...

To think of who this guy cheated with too... With the high prevalence of STDs if I was Spitzers wife I'd go take a bath in boiling isopropyl. Yuck!

MizMell said...

I watched the whole controversy on the Today show. 1 in 5 men cheat, they say. There is nothing worse that a spouse (man or woman) who thinks the thinks this way. I may be deemed harsh, but this is the worse. The damage they do to their children is unforgivable... (The wife can move on, if she's smart.)

Hope said...

Tiff- I know. What a big mess for all concerned. I just don't get it.

Hope said...

Mizmell- it is goig to be tough for those girls. I can't even imagine going through that privately much less in public. How unfair. but I guess no one is guaranteed fair, huh?

PhilippinesPhil said...

I've got a couple of buds peaved that this is such a big deal. My response: "Want to live in a no holds barred permissive society? Go to Godless Europe." The fact that we Americans still find Spitzer's behavior unacceptable tells me there is HOPE for us yet! The King is dead, long live the King!

Hope said...

I really don't care where this man applies his appendage as much as I am bothered he had so much to say about others who did the same kinds of things. I'm with you PHil, The King is dead, long live the King!

PhilippinesPhil said...

We come from a UCMJ background where we hold ourselves to a higher standard. For instance, adultery and fraternization, even between consenting adults, is illegal. We especially hold our leaders to a higher standard, certainly the guy in charge of his state's law enforcement. Thats why I was so angry when Clinton stayed in office. A common buck sergeant doing what he did would have payed a big fine and been dishonorably discharged. I'm afraid that Slick Willy reset the bar very LOW for all of us...

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)