As most of you know, Wednesday and Saturday posts on Hope Radio are now military or military support-related in topic. Recently, I've decided to take this one step further and begin interviewing milbloggers who I have been encouraging all of you to read (in header links just above) and post the interview on Wednesdays.

It occurs to me some of you may wonder why military related topics would be important to me, especially if you haven't followed this blog for very long or are only able to read sporadically.

Military support, service and tradition has been a part of my family's life for a long time. My husband served, uncles on both sides of my family and my sister have all worn a uniform from grunt to general. At one point even I was OCS bound in the mid 80s.

Alas I met a dashing Marine and gave up my slot to be around when he asked me to marry him. What? I assumed telling someone I had only known for a few weeks that I was sticking around so it would be more convenient for him to tell me he couldn't live without me might not go over extremely well at the time. It gave the whole "information on a need to know basis" thing a whole new meaning.

I believe the milblogging community at large is a rich source of information and insight into our world which is not afforded us in mainstream media. I noticed, as I began to participate in it that sometimes information was so good or fleshed out, perspectives more out of the box or opinions uninfluenced by advertisers or sponsors that even my military contacts overseas would say, "Hey, where did you hear about that? Are you stalking me?" heehee..."No," I would say, "It's all over the milblogs, Marine. All you have to do is look."

Which is what I'm asking and hoping to encourage you to do. The milblog community is a vibrant, friendly, rich source of information, support and camaraderie. Evidence of this is most recently found in my search for a Letters to Leathernecks blog badge to give my supporters in recognition for donations and links. Within a few hours of saying I had this need for a graphic, USMC 81 got on board and sent several choices he designed right into my inbox. I was blown away, but then I realized this is typical of a milblogger. I've never known one not to have my six when I needed something for those we support or for Hope Radio. Frankly, in the Blogger community at large I often find this to be the case as well.

Given this, I'd like to introduce my first first milblogger, USMC81 and offer you this interview.
Interview with USMC 81
How long have you been blogging?


I started my personal USMC81 blog site toward the end of 2006. In 1997 I started a website for the USMC Combat Helicopter Association (popasmoke.com) where for the past 12 years, have been bringing Marines, who served with each other in combat, together again. Blogging in a sense, that effort requires a lot of posting, correspondence, follow-up, and forum maintenance.

Why did you start?

In 1995 I started a website called "The Marine Guest Book" where former Marines could log their boot camp and tour details and be found by others. I believe that site was one of the first ten Marine Corps websites ever created. I initially started my blog as a place to archive good material for quick reference. My objective then, as now, is to facilitate information sharing for Marines.

How did you come up with the name?

In California, my jeep license plate was "USMC81" which means I became a Marine in 1981. When I moved to Connecticut in 1993, I ordered the same Veteran plate "USMC81" for my truck, which I still drive today. I also own usmc81.com and use usmc81 for my login wherever I can.

You were a former Marine as my husband Tony is, can you tell me how your service impacts your world view?

I believe I joined the Marines because of my views, not the other way around. I believe in America and that freedom isn't free. I also believe if necessary, I will be one of the last standing Patriots somewhere, some day. (Pic:USMC 81 as a young Lance Corporal in Japan)

Your role as a parent?

I think the discipline you gain from military service plays a big part in how you parent in general. The respect and responsibility experience also has its place in parenting. As a parent, I want my (six) kids to be well-mannered, patriotic, courageous, educated, successful, and loving. Many of those qualities are tied to military experiences for sure, but as an adult, we all grow mature in our thinking and actions as we drift far away from active military service. (Pic below: USMC 81 with 5 of his 6 children)

Your role as a husband?

That's a tough one. I'm pretty sure my role as a husband is based on disciplines I gained pre or post-military. In a partnership, you need to be open-minded, maintain a 30,000 foot view, be very humble, emotionally mature, and realize your job is to make your spouse happy. Well, that's my view.

Your kids' attitudes?

My kids have very little exposure to anything military other than myself. I always try to set the right example and ensure they have appropriate life lessons, which sometimes have a military story or tone. They are awful proud to have a Marine Dad though.

What's been the most rewarding aspect of blogging?

Witnessing from the driver's seat how the Internet and a few good people can positively affect the lives of so many.

Any regrets so far?
No Ma'am.

USMC81 flying over MCRD San Diego in a restored Vietnam-Era USMC UH-34D Helicopter.

What are the pitfalls for you?

Time is a pitfall. I also think proper content management and archiving limits potential. Most of us know what needs to be said, but the ever-changing technologies tend to fragment efforts. Short-term projects have short-term results. Improving on technology and content management is an ongoing struggle we all face.

I notice your twitter as well? What do you get from that that Blogger doesn't offer?

Part of understanding WEB 2.0 and now WEB 3.0 is knowing the social networking components well enough to utilize them effectively. Each of these new tools have strengths and weaknesses. What I get from Twitter that Blogger does not offer is the ability to bring a message to the people instead of bringing the people to the message. Folks like the convenient short-message core functionality of Twitter, which is like a maintenance-free limitless opt-in subscription service. Listen to who interests you and ignore the rest. It's very interesting to see how communities form on Twitter auto-magically.

How do you participate in mil support?

For active-duty troops, I coordinate the "Adopt-A-Shop" program (through popasmoke.com) where care packages are sent to deployed helicopter units. For veterans, there are many opportunities to assist families and loved-ones of vets through knowledge, support, or sometimes, just listening.

Any advice for those thinking about helping out your brothers?

My advice is to do what is within your means to do. Take a look at your skills and determine how those skills might be used in support of active duty military members or veterans. If you have technology or web skills, perhaps you can help create an online community to facilitate others to help. Many people want to help, they just don't know how.

What advice would you give milbloggers who have slowed down their writing since they have been back?

I think everyone needs to do their own thing at their own pace. Just know that there is interest in the content milbloggers have to contribute. People are very interested in military content. Real-time experiences of deployed military members or information in the heads of our veterans need to be shared. Sharing this information is educational for civilians and therapeutical for those sharing.

What advice would you give those who are thinking about blogging?

Do it for the right reason. If you're heart is in it, it will be productive.

5 comments:

Becky said...

what a small world....I've driven behind that truck on the highway (if it's the same one which i'm guessing it is).

Kat Argonza said...

I'm using blogging as an escape from the military though. I just don't want it to become my entire being.

Hope said...

I think balance in all things is probably a rule of thumb even when it comes to blogging, though I can't say USMC81 would find his life all that one dimensional. From what I know of him he leads a very rich multi-faceted life.

PhilippinesPhil said...

Neat pic from the helo of MCRD. When I went through BC in 75 my platoon was billeted in the front side of that very barracks in the shot. Great post. So journalistic!

Travis said...

This is a great idea to enhance your milblogging. Thanks!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)