<--- I crashed Dark Stormy heres meme today...though I could have actually been an odd numbered comment in his comments and so thereby legitimate in my meme anointment...not sure. See, I didn't actually count. First, I just noticed that this meme fits great with doing a military support blog post for Wednesday--not really--first I noticed holy cow that guy gets a lot of chick comments and THEN I jumped on the post idea.


Anyway so the meme says to go to the first folder in your pic file and post the tenth picture in it.
It would have it that the first folder in my pic file is 'Burke'. All the photos that go into Castra Praetoria, or that he sends in general, go in there. Here's the tenth pic.

I posted a blown up version too, so you could see the expression on his face...You know how extra funny something is, if you know the person in the story so you can flesh it out with the expressions, curses and exasperated sighs which ensue? HAHAHAHA!!! When I got this pick I was howling I tell ya!! He probably heard me all the way on base in Iraq...I hit dead center from 7000 miles away? Hey! Where's my expert marksman badge?! Huh? Huh? I want it! It's mine, dammit.

*deep, satisfied exhale*

If I smoked, I'd need a cigarette right now.

Ok. I'm through gloating reminiscing, I'm supposed to explain the photo..HeeHee. Gladly. Seems Marines, my own at home did this when we were dating, incidentally, are reluctant to share the date of their first arrival into the world for fear of public reprisal and or good clean fun at their expense.

I learned this the hard way during the early months of milsupport, but that is for another post. So anyway, being the warm, generous, thoughtful human I am, (notice I did not strike through any of those), I post to Castra Praetoria, I have keys to the blog being it's architect, wishing America's 1st Sgt many happy returns. I thought it would be nice if we could get an online party for the birthday boy in comments from his readers, too. I know. *SIGH* I'm such a giver.

Well turns out his Sgt Maj, the senior non-commissioned officer for his Battalion, (read here: about 1,000 to 1200 of his closest friends), reads Michael's blog and decides to share the news in a well worded, early morning, all hands kinda greeting which went like this:

To: AA_TFMP_3/3_ALL_HANDS
Subject: America's 1stSgt's birthday: 4 June

UNCLASSIFIED

Yes,

Contrary to public belief and rumor (most started by the 1stSgt), he was actually born of mortal woman on the 4th of June. He did not just appear in full combat gear with sharp objects in his hands.Remember to say Happy birthday to the legend in his own mind!

SgtMaj, Task Force MP (3/3)Al Asad, Iraq

Then there's the ambush birthday greeting party that awaited Burke outside of the chowhall after lunch replete with bullhorn, singing and much commentary on his impending decrepitudes special place in their hearts.

The aftermath you can read here.

I did get a very nice email which, when translated to civilian went something like this"Gosh, sis, that was so thoughtful and hey, thanks for all the presents, too. My loving Marine family went out of their way to make it special. Really. You do TOO much.

Here's the untranslated version of thanks from my favorite 1st Sgt:

"You will pay."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you haven't been reading much on the election aftermath in Iran and want to catch up, hit here for how to help, especially if you Twitter. Precautions for keeping Iranian tweeters safe are included. Hit here for an opinion of what the US should do next and here for a piece on thinking past the emotion of events unfolding and taking a look at the two men who vied for the Iranian Presidency. I have no opinion yet of Abadinejad or Mousavi, but I do believe, the people of Iran had a right to an honest elective process.

I left a bunch of links from the weekend and the Iranian election in this post.

USMC 81 is working on a blog badge for supporters who sent in donations or supplied links for the last drive for shipping donations to get things out to our Marines and soldiers in Iraq. I should have it ready for unveiling on Saturday along with pictures of what's been going on this week.

Susan, thank you for the box of goodies, it is labeled and headed out soon to Afghanistan. Lisa and Chris, the magazines are headed to Iraq. Hey Amy and Mel, I found the twenty you slipped in my desk drawer for a couple of boxes. I used it today to send popsicles and bedding. Love you guys!

hope, out.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Hey Hope! Just wanted to say thanks for following my blog - I'm new at the whole blogging thing so it's cool to have people care about what I want to say. Or mock me endlessly behind closed doors - either one is fine! I'm definitely enjoying reading your blog as well. :)

Thom said...

Great Photo...I'm new here and hope to get to really enjoy this blog.

coffeypot said...

I did notice before in the picture you posted of Mike walking the gauntlet that there is, dare I say it, a female type person holding that bull horn. I was going to ask (rib) Mike about it, but I don’t want to wake up one dark night to a pair of eyeballs and a K-Bar looking at me.

Does he say stuff like, “Okay, lady person, drop down and give me fifty - if your ‘man-bags’ will let you go all the way down.” or “Okay, ninjas, double-time it to the ammo dump and load up - except you missy. You can walk over there with me.”

Just wondering! How much different Marine leadership is in a war zone with a split-tail hanging around?

Hope said...

Hey Becky You are very welcome. I think you'll like the community. It is very diverse!

Hi Thom thanks for the visit! Yes, do come again. I tried to get to your page, but it wouldn't load...hmmm

Coffey--ummm I'm not touching that one with a ten ft pole lol, but I do have some dirt on Michael where this topic is concerned.

Wow, that was awkward said...

Nice job. And thanks for combining the photo bloggy with some iranian politics and a badge. That is some good company.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)